da Vinci® Hernia Surgery
If you have a hernia and your doctor suggests surgery, it can be done using open surgery or minimally invasive surgery. During hernia surgery, the weak tissue in the wall of the stomach or groin is secured and any holes are closed.
If minimally invasive surgery is an option for you, ask your doctor about da Vinci Surgery.
Why da Vinci Surgery?Early clinical data suggests that as a result of this technology, da Vinci Ventral Hernia Surgery offers the following potential benefits:
- Low rate of the hernia returning1,3
- Low rate of pain1,2
- Low rate of surgeon switching to open surgery1,2
- Short hospital stay2,3
da Vinci technology enables your surgeon to operate through a few small incisions (cuts), like traditional laparoscopy, instead of a large open incision. The da Vinci System is a robotic-assisted surgical device that your surgeon is 100% in control of at all times. The da Vinci System gives surgeons:
- A 3D HD view inside your body
- Wristed instruments that bend and rotate far greater than the human hand
- Enhanced vision, precision and control
Risks & Considerations Related to Hernia Repair (ventral, incisional, umbilical, inguinal): recurrence, bowel injury, infection of mesh, urinary retention. For inguinal hernia repair: testicular injury.
- To find a da Vinci Surgeon nearest you, use our Surgeon Locator.
- Learn more about the da Vinci Surgical System.
- Tayar C, Karoui M, Cherqui D, Fagniez PL. Robot-assisted laparoscopic mesh repair of incisional hernias with exclusive intracorporeal suturing: a pilot study. Surg Endosc. 2007 Oct;21(10):1786- 9. Epub 2007 Mar 13.
- Allison N, Tieu K, Snyder B, Pigazzi A, Wilson E. Technical feasibility of robot-assisted ventral hernia repair. World J Surg. 2012 Feb;36(2):447-52. doi: 10.1007/s00268-011-1389-8.
- Gonzalez, A. M., et al. (2014). "Laparoscopic ventral hernia repair with primary closure versus no primary closure of the defect: potential benefits of the robotic technology." International of Medical Robots and Computer Assisted Surgery.
Important Safety Information
Serious complications may occur in any surgery, including da Vinci® Surgery, up to and including death. Individual surgical results may vary. Patients should talk to their doctor to decide if da Vinci Surgery is right for them. Patients and doctors should review all available information on non-surgical and surgical options in order to make an informed decision. Please also refer to http://www.daVinciSurgery.com/Safety for Important Safety Information.
©2017 Intuitive Surgical, Inc. All rights reserved. Product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders. The information on this website is intended for a United States audience only.